Here’s my recipe for a true Southern style pecan pie. The bourbon is optional, but it really brings out the flavor in this pie. Give it a try if you love pecans!
- 6 tbsp unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup dark brown corn syrup
- 1 tbsp Wild Turkey or Jack Daniels (or whatever you’ve got around the house)
- 2 cups pecan halves or pieces, divided
- 1 9″ unbaked pie shell
Cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then add the vanilla extract, salt, corn syrup and bourbon.
Arrange half the pecans on the bottom of the unbaked pie shell. Pour the batter over the pecans and top with the remaining pecans. Bake in a 350F oven for about 1 hour.
Be careful to watch the pie as it bakes. If the pecans begin to get too brown, lightly cover the pie with aluminum foil.